The Holy Grail

This past weekend, I wrapped up Week Two of Ultra Training. I ended up skipping one of my weekday runs replacing it with a leg heavy crossfit workout.

So the week looked like this:

Monday - 3 and crossfit
Wednesday - skipped
Thursday - 3 and crossfit
Friday - crossfit with rowing
Saturday - Workout at Ikea
Sunday - 8 glorious miles

Sunday was AWESOME! I started out around 9:30am on a gravel-ish 'trail' not far from the house. It's about a 3.6 mile loop, or 3.1 depending on where you turn, and I somehow made it into a 4 mile loop because I am directionally challenged and went the wrong way a few times.

Hey, it worked out.

The first four miles were fairly uneventful. I wasted a lot of energy swatting away horse flies...those things are ruthless! I even had bug spray on but it didn't phase them one bit. Probably because I was sweating buckets and all the spray washed off. After the four miles, I stopped back at the car to refill my water bottle and stopped for a potty break at my friend's house right down the road. Thank goodness for her! She bascially had to push me out the door to do the last four.

I got out there and decided to just road run to avoid more flies. I had a secret time goal in mind after seeing my time for the first four miles. I forgot that the road has a pretty decent gradual hill. But I powered through, hauled butt on the last mile and made my time goal with five minutes to spare! Woo hoo!

Then I went home and took an epsom salt bath to help with the tightness and knee pain, drank some chia fresca, and powered on through the day!


This week so far:

Monday - PT
Tuesday - crossfit, pretty cardio heavy
Wednesday - **update, I did not run or go to crossfit thanks to BOTH knees and my hip. Two steps forward, two steps back, eh?! Annoyed.

Kinda scrapping this week in the books with the exception of Saturday and Sunday. Man I hope my body gets back on board!

Going for eight or nine miles on Saturday, and then three on Sunday. I'm going to try to find somewhere new to run on Saturday before I go cheer on some friends from Anchor competing in a crossfit competition! SO exicted for them!!

This week has felt a little like Christmas because I bought a bunch of running supplies that I kiiiinda needed?!



Excited to try these!




Rebound Racer Sports Bra by Moving Comfort...they have THE BEST workout bras!



Fiona Sports Bra by Moving Comfort

Darn Tough Socks, heard really good things about them, they seem comfy

Injinji Socks, pretty comfy just gotta get used to the toes

And last but not least.... DRUMROLL.......


Ta-Da! Altra Lone Peak 1.5 in the house!
 
So I have basically phased my La Sportivas out of my running. I still love them and they have a place in my closet, to be pulled out for certain trail runs, but I've been favoring my Salomon Speedcross 3's more (they're more cushy).

I was looking online for another trail shoe to train in along with the Salomon's and I was debating on Hokas.

For those who are not familiar, Hoka One One shoes are supposed to feel like running on clouds...that's how cushioned they are. They are pretty dang pricey too.

The problem with Hokas (for me), other than the price tag, is that I am already prone to rolling my ankles and I worry about being that high up. The padding is definitely appealing but I am already a pretty bad heel striker, especially when I'm tired, and the Hokas seem to make that even easier to do.

I want to improve my running form, not enhance the problem and hide the symptoms with a super cushioned shoe.

I hope I am making sense.

Instead of going with Hokas, I went the completely opposite direction to a shoe that helps promote a proper footstrike AND also maintains some cushion!! The Holy Grail, people!!!

Altra is a different kind of shoe company, creating zero drop footwear that 'offers runners the world's first fully cushioned, foot-shaped, training shoe without an elevated heel. This unique platform allows for a more natural foot strike and a more efficient, comfortable ride.'

So here I am, with my Brooks Ravenna 4's that have a 9mm drop and my Salomon Speedcross 3's that have a 10mm drop, trying to transition to a Zero Drop shoe.

Yikes.

Let the calf burning begin!

Just Kidding.

Kind of.

The deal with this shoe is that I will definitely have to SLOWLY transition. As in, do my Sunday shorter 'trail' runs in these bad boys for a few weeks until my body adjusts to the different muscles being used.

My hope is that I will love these shoes dearly and eventually be able to race in them and they will solve all my problems and bring world peace.

I'll let you know how it all goes!

Comments

Popular Posts