Running in the rain





Why am I so excited about the next few days forecast?! I LOVE RUNNING IN THE RAIN!

Call me crazy (other people already have, with the exception of sexy hot guy yesterday who was also crazy enough to be running in the downpour), but I finally GET why people still run in the rain! A former rain-phobic runner (I am terrified, repeat, TERRIFIED of being outside while it is lightening), I decided last week that gone are the days I excuse my way out of my training. Time to get serious, sister! And with new excitement thanks to signing up for the Philly Rock'N'Roll Half Marathon, rain was not going to stop me! I also benefited from being forced to run in the rain on Saturday for the National Police Week 5k (which I loved...great people, good route, some minor hills). Thank you, 36 min 5k with a bum toe and not running for the past two weeks. I'll take it.

So Monday rolls around with the rain. It was sunny all day until about 15 minutes before I'm about to leave work for my run. I mapped out a flat route around the Navy Yard and Cap. Hill area, head outside only to see it pouring. I made it to my car, and it seemed to be significantly letting up, so I decided to go run anyway.

I get less than half a block down the road and BAM the skies open up again. But let me tell you, this was the most liberating 3 miles EVER. I loved every single minute of it...even when people were looking at me crazy, and especially when the little kids in cars passing by would point and giggle at the silly person running in the rain. Only once did I pause and think twice about heading back....when I heard the thunder and saw the huge streak of lightening. I figured, just run by anyone taller than you....your odds of getting hit are less ;)

Not too many things make you feel so much like a kid as being already soaked while running and happening upon a puddle. My first instinct was not jump around it, then I remembered...your shoes are already drenched, might as well have some fun!

It's not raining today...so I'll try to enjoy the sunshine, but you better believe my shoes will be dry and ready to go on Thursday when the rain comes back around, with a big smile on my face and pep in my step!

Comments

Popular Posts