I know I can because I know I will.

Remember me? It's been a while, and I am slightly ashamed of that.

When I first started running, I hoped I wouldn't become someone who let life get in the way of training and enjoying my new hobby. But that's exactly what has happened. With being in a running funk, the dog being sick, losing faith in myself, being swamped at work, and just other life boo-hoos, I have commited the ultimate ball drop. Even my short runs have been completely not where they should be.

This past Saturday, I decided to change up the scenery and head somewhere with water fountains...the good ole trusty W&OD. I half-assed the nutrition aspect (great idea.....) but still psyched myself up/out for the run and told myself 'today I feel great, today I will kick ass' (even with the wonky ankle).

That day I did not kick ass, other than my own, and not in a good way. Chafing, apparently, is a real thing. You think it won't happen to you, you think you lost weight in those lovely Louisiana thighs of yours, you think you've run in that SAME pair of shorts enough....but no. It. Can. Happen. (And it did). I was only about 3.5 miles into the run when I needed to text my friend and ask for some serious advice...continue trekking on and soak up the pain, or turn around and try again tomorrow? The answer was try again tomorrow, and a good thing too, because it started to be uncomfortable enough that I couldn't run the 3.5 back....hello looooong walk to the car......in the now pouring rain. So I got chinese food, headed all the way home, found some frozen veggies to ice the still pissy ankle, and proceeded to take a very, very long nap.

I didn't run the next day. My heart was not in it.

Today is Monday, the start of a new training week. I have 3 scheduled today, 5 scheduled tomorrow, 4 scheduled for Thursday, and 13 scheduled for Saturday. I will complete these all, no matter if I have to limp/crawl/steam roll the whole way to finish the run.

I'm still terrified of running alone, in a sense that I FEEL so alone. I still feel the pangs when I see groups of friends in stride with each other around the monuments, sharing a common goal and helping each other through the tough spots. I really need to remember that I did this once by myself before, and I am strong enough mentally to do it again, and for twice the distance.

Philly RnR Half is almost a month away, and I am going to focus on why I signed up in the first place. I know the joy I used to get from running is still deep down there somewhere, hopefully I find it this week.

Sept 10: Increasingly more possible (PLEASE update your wait list...) Women's Trail Half Marathon

Sept 18: Philly RnR Half Marathon

Oct 2: ERIN'S HALF IM!!! (okay so not my race but SUPER excited to cheer her on)

Oct 23: VA Tough Mudder

Oct 30: The ultimate end goal this year - Marine Corps Marathon

Never lose sight of your goals, but don't let the weight of them overpower your will to press on...no matter how ambitious they may seem.

Comments

Popular Posts