Chasing Faster Times

Now that I've decided to gracefully bow out of the 50k and just enjoy our trip to DC, I have set a few new goals. I seem to be nothing fitness-wise, without a goal to work towards.

During my training using CFE, I worked up to sprinting 1000 meters at a pace of 8:34 minute miles. That's roughly 0.62 miles.

In my last workout, I did the following:

2 x 200m sprints at 8:34 pace
2 x 400m sprints at 8:34 pace
2 x 1000m sprints at 8:34 pace

So, my new goal to run towards is completing a 8:34 full mile.

Once I accomplish that, I want to work my way up to a sub 30 min 5k (30 min is my fastest time).
Then I want to work towards a sub 2:30 half marathon (I believe 2:40 is *officially* my fastest).

So on and so forth.

On weekends that I have a chance to slip out of the house and onto an actual trail (not the crushed gravel by my house), I want to just fully take advantage. Pick an amazing trail and run whatever distance I FEEL like. Not because my training plan says I have to...but because I want to.

I've let myself get complacent with my speed since moving to Colorado. I've just accepted the fact that I will always be slow and haven't really done much to change that.

Clearly I looong to be out of the back of the pack in races. I desire to not fear if the person behind me is the race sweep (a blow to the ego). Only way to do that is to become faster. And the only way to do that (that I'm aware of right now) is to start back at the bottom and build my way up.

Yes. I have received this advice before. Yes, I chose to ignore it. :D

I'm willing now. On Tuesday or Wednesday I plan on completing a mile time trial to see where I land.

Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular Posts