Allergies can't slow me down!

Last week, I vowed to not miss a single training run. I ran on Monday...I ran on Thursday....that's it. 2 out of 4 of my weekly runs. Usually I would count this as a fail, but I'm trying to change the way I see my running. During the training for the Jazz Half, I had a horrible mentality of punishing myself for missing a run, or completing one poorly....a horrible, horrible way to nurture a hobby. It was one of those things I knew I shouldn't do, but I also couldn't stop the negativity. If on Monday I was marked to run 3 miles but only ran 2, I would find a way to make the next run miserable...force myself on the treadmill, etc. Looking back now, I see the err of my ways, but at the time I thought I was teaching myself a lesson. Why should I ever use running as a form of punishment? How will that teach me to love the good and the bad that comes from running?

Monday at work I was chatting with my running mentor/coworker about how I need to buckle down and stop making excuses. Base building is there for a reason, and I need not wiggle my way out of it! I told her I was doing 3 miles uncomfortably, and she retorted that I needed to SLOW DOWN. If I can complete it but not feel good, it’s because I'm going too fast. Sure thing. I watch the clock...I know I need to slow down, but sometimes I just lack the ability to pull the reigns when necessary. She threatened that if I keep it up, I'm going to have to log some serious treadmill time until I can get control over a consistent pace. I loathe the treadmill.

After work, I changed into my nifty St. Jude singlet (thanks sis!) and drove straight to my trusty neighborhood loop. I was extremely conscious of my pace and made it through the first loop feeling good. Then I decided (best decision EVER) to reverse my way around the loop for the second half. Changed my world. Sometimes a change of scenery or different outlook is all you need.

Yesterday I learned optimism is key to running and persevering. If I think I can't make it, I won't. It's all a mental game. When the end goal is to run for 5 hours (potentially) straight, you have to think positive and you have to be patient. I suck at patience, but I'm learning.

In other news, I'm still waiting on final word for a lease on a DC apartment (woot woot!). The major excitement here is a drastically smaller commute, AND (drumroll...) the apartment would be only TWO METRO STOPS AWAY from BoMF team La Casa, thus saving me from waking up at 4:30am to run with NSV. I love the ladies there, and I miss them since I haven't been in a WHILE...but I think the exhaustion has been too much to handle.

Looking forward to getting word on the apt and starting with a new team come June! Cross your fingers!

Comments

Popular Posts