Terrified to Train

Sick for almost a month now. I'm finding it very difficult to sit inside and nurse my sickness instead of going outside and enjoying the beautiful weather we've been having. I want to run so badly that last night's drizzle seemed like it would be pleasant to run in. We're getting into such a great time of year, the sun is up earlier, days are warmer....I hope I can hold on to this feeling of strong desire to run when the training days start stacking up.

I finished a very rough draft of my 18 week training plan for the marathon, which includes hill repeats, Yasso 800s, track ladders, and fartleks...along with the easy, long, and tempo runs, and cross training. It's going to be a loooong 18 weeks. But before I can even begin that, I need to start my pre-training, post-sickness plan to get in shape to train for the marathon :)

Once I am back to running 5 miles comfortably, I am planning on a once a week run with DC Capital Striders. I think running with others will be a big part of getting me through my training. I'm not sure how anyone runs 18 miles alone...but then again, I ran 13 that way.

Between being sick, pre-training, starting back with BOMF, regular training, I have my hands full!

Next race: May 21, DCCS 8k to support Wounded Warriors and Back on My Feet, and High Cloud Foundation.

Support my marathon:
http://www.active.com/donate/semperfifundmcm2011/fundSwalker



Fartlek: Pick up the pace for segments of 30 seconds to four minutes, interspersed with easy-paced segments of similar duration.

Kenyan Outbacks: Like tempo runs, a few miles at a challenging pace, but with the second half much faster than the first.

Track Ladders: Do a track workout up and down the distance ladder: Run 200, 400, 800, 400, 200 with slow jogging in between each faster repeat.

Yasso 800s: Run four to six 800-meter repeats with 400-meter recovery jogs. Try to get up to ten.

Hill Repeats: Run repeats on a moderate hill of 100 to 200 meters, walk or jog down. Later in training, just run tempo and long runs on hilly routes.

Comments

Popular Posts